Wolseley Register National Rally, 3-5 August 2018
For the last few years we have confirmed details of our annual rallies in January and full details have been announced in the Spring. As a number of you have found this year, accommodation options can be limited when you book that late and you may already have other commitments. Therefore, for the 2018 rally, we decided to arrange things further ahead.
The Register will take over the Royal Agricultural University (formerly the Royal Agricultural College) at Cirencester from the Friday until the Monday. The university has beautiful buildings in a parkland setting, it has many high quality rooms (twin and single) available, and excellent catering. Of course the accommodation is designed with students in mind, but we are confident the facilities offer entrants a reasonably-priced inclusive package for the 2018 Rally. NB: there are no lifts in any of the buildings.
Our outline programme for the weekend is:
- Friday: Arrive late afternoon. Evening meal and overnight accommodation including breakfast on Saturday.
- Saturday: Scenic tour of Cotswold villages with coffee and lunch stops including visits to local places of interest. Possibility of driving skills tests in late afternoon. Evening Rally Dinner (to be served in first floor Ken Russell Dining Room). Overnight B&B accommodation.
- Sunday: Static car display in the grounds. Lunch available from servery. Evening meal and overnight B&B accommodation.
Accommodation prices at the RAU are:
- B&B twin £75; single £45 (per room)
- Buffet dinner £9.50 (Fri and Sun)
- Rally three-course dinner (Sat): £25
An indicative cost per person for a full weekend (Friday dinner to Monday breakfast) would therefore be £160-180. Shorter stays are possible and it may also be possible to lengthen your stay. This represents outstanding value.
We hope most members will arrive on the Friday and stay for at least two nights. The Rally Dinner will be on Saturday evening. A longer stay in the B&B accommodation, arriving before Friday or departing after Monday, is possible. Very limited camping space is available on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights only, adjacent to the Sports Pavilion which offers toilet and shower facilities. Tents would be on grass but motorised vehicles or caravans can only be accommodated on the car park area near the Pavilion so would not be able to erect awnings. Breakfast and/or lunch can be purchased in the main building but evening meals must be booked in advance. Camping fees of £5 per person per night to be paid in full when booking.
Our aim is to make the Rally a whole-weekend event, and we want everyone to stay in the same place if possible. We have reserved around 50 rooms which can only be held for a limited time, so it is essential to make an early booking. Accommodation and meals must be booked through the Wolseley Register using the online form below, or the paper form enclosed with the September/October Wolseley World. Please make sure that you make your booking before the end of 2017 as we cannot guarantee availability beyond that.
Read the Official Access Statement for the Royal Agricultural University. NB: Dogs are not allowed in any of the RAU buildings and must be kept on leads when in the grounds at all times.
Of course, staying at the RAU and attending the Rally Dinner is not compulsory so if you just want to attend some of the events over the weekend, you need do nothing now.
Because of the need to book accommodation early, booking for the Rally will be handled in two stages:
- Accommodation and meals, including the Rally Dinner, can be booked now with a deposit for accommodation. Balance of accommodation and evening meal payments will be collected by Easter 2018.
- In the New Year, a Stage 2 booking form will be included in Wolseley World and available on the website. This will cover car details and various optional activities on the Saturday.