1913 Wolseley oil for multiplate clutch | PUBLIC ENQUIRIES | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
1913 Wolseley oil for multiplate clutch
June 12, 2014
1:40 pm
Martyn Mann

Does anyone know if this uses a special oil of its own? I have seen elsewhere that some models feed the clutch via a small gallery in the crankshaft with engine oil.

Thanks - Martyn Mann
Cool

June 15, 2014
10:15 am
Webmaster
Admin
Forum Posts: 302
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello Martyn

Many thanks for your enquiry. It doesn't look as though any of our forum users have much experience of this age of Wolseley. Therefore if you can tell me exactly which model of 1913 Wolseley you are enquiring about, I'll see if I can find an answer for you.

Regards
Bob

June 15, 2014
6:36 pm
Graham Button
Forum Posts: 288

I'm no expert on this era of car but as far as I'm aware cars with cork clutches rely on the engine oil for correct lubrication and operation, thus maintaining a sufficient quantity of oil in the sump ensures that no expensive damage is done to the clutch.
Graham..

June 27, 2014
9:09 pm
Webmaster
Admin
Forum Posts: 302

Hi Martyn

Norman Painting advises that:
"
All the cars being produced in 1913 had multi-steel plate clutches running in oil (33 plates in each), and the clutches were sealed in their own housings and not supplied with oil from the engine. The clutch held 4fl.ozs to 6fl.ozs (about a quarter of a pint) of Wolseley Disc Clutch Oil, but there is no mention of the viscosity, however if oil too thick was used it caused slipping, so it would appear that the oil used may have been thinner than the engine oil which was Wolseley Heavy Filtrate. The clutch had to be filled using a small syringe through a plug in the housing.
"

I hope this helps.
Bob

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 213

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 117

Members: 815

Moderators: 7

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2

Forums: 2

Topics: 394

Newest Members:

Jensen123

Moderators: magicmember: 0, Chair Man: 0, Admin 2: 0, Admin 1: 2, Reg Istrar: 0, Sec retary: 0, Member Secretary: 0

Administrators: rob: 0, Treasurer: 0, Webmaster: 302, Jenny Ryder: 4, Editor: 0