4/44 wheels/brakes | PUBLIC ENQUIRIES | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
4/44 wheels/brakes
June 24, 2016
8:08 pm
Rob Thomas

Hello.
I have a 1949 Morris that is fitted with a period Rally engine and hence goes a lot faster than it stops. I've noticed some pics on the internet of a set of 4/44 brake drums that are 6 spline, the same as the Morris, and wondered if some kind soul could give me some extra info on the dimensions? Easiest to get me on my email of hfh200 at hotmail.co.uk
I assume the 4/44 uses a PCD of 4.5 inches, the same as the Magnette? Are the drums 9 or 10 inch?
Thanks
Rob, in Cardiff

June 27, 2016
10:31 am
Webmaster
Admin
Forum Posts: 299
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Rob
I cannot personally help with your query, but I will ask some other members if they can provide any clues. If I succeed, I'll reply on the forum.
Bob

July 1, 2016
12:06 pm
Webmaster
Admin

Rob

The 4/44 has 9" dia x 1.1/2" wide brakes, whilst the MGZ is 10"dia x 1.3/4" wide. The wheels are the same size, but he doesn't know how many splines there are on the brake drums.
Hope this helps

August 14, 2016
5:46 pm
Rob Thomas

Phew. Finally worked out how to post a reply. I do apologise for being so late in getting back to you. I hadn't twigged that I had been able to log on as a guest. Duh!

Thanks very much for the response, Bob. I guessed the MG would be both larger and wider. From what little I've been able to find out, the splines are universal across the Nuffield axle range at six, or at least until well after the period we're looking at.

I've tried to track down an axle/brake set from either a 4/50, a 4/44 an MGYB or ZB but have not been able to buy any sets at all. Not even a set of the 4x4.5 inch stud wheels which I assume come in 15 inch for the Wolseley? The Magnette ones have the extra holes, which I was trying to avoid.

I'm a bit stuck, not knowing anyone locally who owns any of these cars so would be most grateful if any members can perhaps take a couple of photos for me and maybe tell me the diameter of the front hub bearings. Metric or Imperial...I don't know. If anyone has converted to disc brakes at the front then I'd be more than happy to purchase any surplus drum-braked parts, front or rear.

Rob, Cardiff
hfh200 @ hotmail.co.uk

August 15, 2016
8:54 pm
Webmaster
Admin

Hi Rob

I'm afraid I can't help with any photos as I am no expert onthese models - can anyone else help Rob?

Regarding spares for your car, have you tried NTG (http://www.mgbits.com/)/ They trade in MG Z Series and Wolseley 4/44 spares, so they might be able to help you.

Bob

August 16, 2016
9:39 am
Rob Thomas
Awaiting Moderation

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 213

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 117

Members: 804

Moderators: 7

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2

Forums: 2

Topics: 390

Newest Members:

Jacobfoets Jacobfoets

Moderators: magicmember: 0, Chair Man: 0, Admin 2: 0, Admin 1: 2, Reg Istrar: 0, Sec retary: 0, Member Secretary: 0

Administrators: rob: 0, Treasurer: 0, Webmaster: 299, Jenny Ryder: 4, Editor: 0