clutch change/freeing off on a wolseley14/60 | PUBLIC ENQUIRIES | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
clutch change/freeing off on a wolseley14/60
March 24, 2016
6:26 pm
colin fortnam

Hi there I am about to start work on a 1939 Wolseley 14/60. The engine runs beautifully but as the car has stood for many years the clutch is stuck.
I know of a few ways to free it but I am mindful of causing any damage.
Any one any ideas?
Alternatively if I need to get to the plate can I remove just the gearbox or do I remove the engine.
I would be interested in your responses
Thanks in advance
Colin Fortnam.

March 24, 2016
6:33 pm
Webmaster
Admin
Forum Posts: 299
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Colin

You can try to free the clutch by any of the usual ways as it doesn't have any specific weaknesses. New plates can be found occasionally, although they can be quite expensive.

The gearbox is removed from inside the car, by removing the front floorboards and gearbox cover, lifting it back and upwards into the car. It's a fairy straightforward process.

I hope this helps
Bob

March 24, 2016
7:03 pm
Graham Button
Forum Posts: 283
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Colin,
If you have sufficient room to drive the car fit a good battery and get the engine as hot as possible, this is most important as the flywheel and driven plate when heated expand at different rates. Start the car in 1st with your foot on the clutch pedal if this doesn't free it and you can do clutchless gear changes then get into top, take your foot off the accelerator depress the clutch, don't use the brake and allow the car to slow almost to a stop the snatching that this will induce should free it. If this fails then remove the gearbox as described by Bob and if needs be replace the clutch. The clutch is the same as the 1489cc Farinas, the early 1500s and is readily available but as Bob says can be price.
Only try what I have suggested if you have mechanical sympathy and are confident that you will know when the strain on everything is getting excessive.
I had the same problem with one 30 years ago and it took about 8 miles after warming the car up for it to free off. It should work but the caveat is care needs to be taken..
Graham.

March 27, 2016
2:21 am
colin fortnam
Awaiting Moderation

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 213

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 117

Members: 804

Moderators: 7

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2

Forums: 2

Topics: 390

Newest Members:

Jacobfoets Jacobfoets

Moderators: magicmember: 0, Chair Man: 0, Admin 2: 0, Admin 1: 2, Reg Istrar: 0, Sec retary: 0, Member Secretary: 0

Administrators: rob: 0, Treasurer: 0, Webmaster: 299, Jenny Ryder: 4, Editor: 0