National Exhibition Centre, Birmingham
The Wolseley Register presented 5 very varied exhibits on the club stand in Hall 3 at the annual Classic Motor Show. Stand organisers were absolutely delighted to be presented with the award for the Best Medium Club Stand at the Lancaster Insurance Awards on the first evening of the 3-day show and the award was proudly displayed for the remaining show days. It was touching how many members of the public, our own club and other classic car clubs congratulated us on this achievement. For full list of winners of the Awards click here.
This year’s show theme was ‘Built to Last’ and our exhibits spanned 4 decades of production, showing that Wolseley cars were indeed built to last as all the exhibits are still on the road.
Our earliest exhibit was a Wolseley 11-22 two seater plus dickey – which is believed to be a prototype 11-22 E4 based on an E3 Ten. The vehicle was built in late 1924 and registered in Leeds on 14 February 1925 by dealer Atholl Dixon for a Dr Clough. The car spent all of its ‘working life’ in Leeds and is still based in that area. The owner was pleased to discuss his recent acquisition with visitors to the stand and learnt a few things he did not know before.
The next exhibit in age order was a 1929 Wolseley 21/60 Straight Eight. This rare example with a 3 litre engine is one of only 3 known UK survivors and attracted much attention. Wolseley Register members saw the car regularly at National Rallies over a number of years.
The 1937 Series III Wolseley 25 Drop Head Coupe Prototype exhibit was originally purchased by the 4000 factory workers at Cowley as a gift to Lord Nuffield on his 60th birthday that Christmas. William Morris (Lord Nuffield) retained the vehicle until his death in 1963. A new Profile book about this model was launched at the Show with the current owner, Wolseley Register Chairman, Clive Button, signed copies. The book may be ordered through our online shop.
A 1950 Wolseley 4/50 Series I represented one of the all-new models which was introduced at the first post-war Motor Show in 1948, along with the Wolseley 6/80 which turned out to be more popular with customers at that time having the larger engine. Therefore very few 4/50’s remain with only about 20 currently taxed and on the road.
The newest exhibit was a 1961 Wolseley 15/60 Farina model, representing the introduction of this range at the end of 1958. The Italian Batista Pinin Farina body brought a new flair to the Wolseley marque and this example was refurbished in two-tone livery especially for the Show. It was driven from Cambridgeshire by its enthusiastic Wolseley Register owner.
During the Show, an overseas member was presented with his 25 years Long Membership Award – he is also the youngest long-serving member of the club!
More Wolseleys were spotted on other club stands, including a 1913 Wolseley on the Veteran Car Club stand:
On the other club stands adjoining the Wolseley Register, a 6/80 was exhibited on the 6/80 & MO Oxford & Cowley Club stand and the Landcrab Owners Club International (LOCI) showed two Wolseley 18/85 models, one of which is owned by a member of both the Wolseley Register and LOCI:
Technical advice, membership information and club merchandise were available to members and visitors. Many searches of our List of Recorded Vehicles were made on the stand to find out if current or previously-owned cherished Wolseleys were known to the club.
Thanks to all who helped build and man our prize-winning stand and to all those who visited us over the 3-day Show. The Register will be applying for a stand at next year’s Classic Motor Show to be held on 8/9/10 November 2019.