Wolseley 1300 Twin Carbs of Single?? | PUBLIC ENQUIRIES | Forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
Wolseley 1300 Twin Carbs of Single??
September 16, 2019
9:17 am
Richard

Hallo all,
I am looking at a 1972 Wolseley 1300 which seems to be bodily and mechanically quite good. Snag is that the engine only has one SU fitted so not sure if this was ever an ‘option’ or someone has swapped motors at some point! Presumably it’ll make acceleration rather dull, or would one not notice that to much?
Is it an easy retro-fit or cost too much to find the right manifolds, carbs and other pieces (I do my own mechanical work, so not put off by other than maybe difficulty and cost of finding parts)
Any suggestions would be very welcome as don’t want to miss out on the car!
Regards, Richard (r.bartholomew@freeuk.com)

September 17, 2019
11:15 am
Webmaster
Admin
Forum Posts: 409
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Richard

Have you read the page on our website for the 1100/1300 models (https://www.wolseleyregister.co.uk/wolseley-history/blmc/1100-1300/)? It seems that all manual MkII 1300’s should be twin carb, but the auto version remained a single carb. So it all depends on whether the car you are looking at is a manual or an automatic?

I am not an expert on these models, but they are all fairly simple mechanics, based on the old A series engines, so I doubt it would be a difficult job to convert it if you wanted to. Spares are still fairly common, but you do have to look for them. The cars come up on Ebay fairly regularly, being broken up, so you shouldn’t have too much difficulty finding them.

Performance depends on how you intend to drive the car. Most owners now drive their cars fairly steadily, and so I doubt there would be much difference in noticeable acceleration.

Bob

September 17, 2019
9:08 pm
Graham Whitaker
Forum Posts: 29
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi Richard,
I can let you have a twin inlet manifold, I have several!
Depending on the carbs required, I probably have them as well.
I can look up in the Burlen book to see which were used if required.
Performance is easy to improve on the A series. Many bits can be got from Minisport.
Graham Whitaker

Forum Timezone: Europe/London

Most Users Ever Online: 213

Currently Online: Graham Button
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 161

Members: 777

Moderators: 3